3 Unexpected Benefits From Chai Tea
Let’s be honest for a moment. When you think of healthy foods and beverages, taste is usually not a large part of the equation. I get it. Broccoli isn’t exactly the most desirable flavor on the palate. So when I discovered Chai Tea, I was surprised by the number of benefits that come from this deliciously creamy beverage.
Ingredients of Chai Tea
What Chai Tea lovers in India (where the drink originated) have understood for centuries, the Western world has just recently discovered. The spicy, soothing flavor works as more than your morning coffee replacement. Each ingredient of Chai Tea offers its own health benefit.
- Ginger: This warm, peppery spice helps relieve nausea and digestive issues. Health studies prove its effectiveness to relieve nausea related to pregnancy and cancer treatment.
- Black tea: The benefits of black tea include increased energy, anti-inflammatory agents, numerous antioxidants, and reduced cholesterol levels.
- Cinnamon: We know this savory space is delicious, but did you also know it has the power to lower and stabilize blood sugar? Add that to the antioxidants packed within and you have one perfect ingredient.
- Cardamom: Research reveals cardamom has the power to lower blood pressure. The spice also helps fight inflammation, treat digestive problems, and treat bad breath (crazy, right?).
There are different styles of Chai Tea, so your ingredients may vary slightly, but you can bet you’ll benefit by drinking the tea daily.
Is Chai Tea Good For You?
Chai Tea is not only good for you, there are several health benefits you may not even realize you’re receiving from the steamy drink.
Minor Aches & Pains
Sore after an intense spin class or recovering from an illness? Steam up a pot Chai Tea. The anti-inflammatory properties we talked about above can help relieve minor aches and pains, making it a great post-workout drink. The caffeine from the black tea and power of ginger to relieve inflammation can also help to ease headaches. Sip a cup of Chai Tea to support recovery from:
- Uneasy stomach / digestive issues
- Minor viral illness
- Common cold
- Sore muscles
- Arthritic pain
- Menstrual cramps
Adding Chai Tea to your daily regimen will support overall strong immune health and reduced pain.
One of the most common questions surrounding the tea is, “Does Chai Tea help with weight loss?” It definitely can be a beneficial element in your weight loss plan. The ingredients in Chai Tea are known to support a healthy weight. Black pepper helps block the growth of new fat cells and ginger helps boost your body’s ability to burn calories. Add Chai Tea to your weight loss or maintenance plan to reach your goal.
Skip the massage (ok, just kidding – keep the massage, but have a cup of Chai Tea afterward). Certain styles of the tea include nutmeg as an ingredient. This sweet spice has been linked to reducing stress and creating feel-good hormones. Nutmeg has also been used to help treat insomnia. The antioxidants loaded in Chai Tea also support mental clarity as they ward off cells that can cause confusion, mood swings, and increased anger. Relive your chronic stress with Chai Tea.
Add a cup of Chai Tea to your morning routine or as an afternoon pick-me-up. I’m still debating whether the rich, creamy taste or amazing health benefits is the better reason to drink a cup each day. Fortunately, with quality Chai Tea, you get both.