How To Make Essential Oil Room Spray
The power of scent is amazing. It can put you into a state of nostalgia, help you relax, or invigorate you. By creating a variety of essential oil room sprays, you can fill your space with the smell that you need in the moment. Not only are natural deodorizers a chemical-free way to enhance the smell in your home, but the aromatherapy aspect also offers mental and physical benefits.
Essential oil room sprays should be your preferred method to bust through the stale or unpleasant odors in your home. Benefits of using essential oil room sprays include:
- They can replace the toxic aerosol sprays, paraffin wax candles, and plugins.
- You decide on the scent and its strength.
- They make great gifts for nearly anyone, but especially those who are sensitive to strongly perfumed home fragrances found on any big-box store shelf.
- The sprays are simple and inexpensive to make.
What Are Essential Oil Room Sprays?
Essential oil room sprays are simple to make and call for just a few minutes for you to have an entire bottle made. By placing a few drops of your desired oil into a glass spray bottle and filling with water and another liquid to help emulsify the oil.
Without using an emulsifier, the scent of your essential oil will be faint and the you’ll be left with a damp mess on your carpet and furniture. Natural emulsifiers for your essential oil room spray include:
- Aloe vera juice
- Witch hazel
- Sea salt (Epsom and Himalayan work well, too)
If you don’t use all your room spray at once, the emulsions may separate into layers once stored. The emulsions may also have a cloudy or white appearance. Both of these situations are normal and harmless. Use a stick to stir the room spray and you’re ready for the next use!
Steps to create essential oil room spray:
- Choose your essential oil and place 12-15 drops in the glass spray bottle.
- Add 1 tsp of your emulsion. I typically use Himalayan Salt because it can be used in so many DIY projects.
- Shake or stir bottle to mix essential oil and salt.
- Fill the rest of the bottle with water, leaving enough space for the sprayer to be screwed on.
- Add the sprayer and shake the bottle. Dry the bottle and label so you know the appropriate scent.
Popular Essential Oil Scents
If you’re not sure where to start with your essential oil room spray scent, use these fragrance benefits as a guide:
- Chamomile: Calming, warm, welcoming, stress relief
- Geranium (Rose): Sensual, balancing, creates content
- Grapefruit: Refreshing, cooling, inspires self confidence
- Jasmine: Calming, uplifting, lifts fear
- Lavender: Calming, relieves tension and panic
- Lemon: Refreshing, purifying, relieves fatigue
- Lemongrass: Stimulating, clearing, reviving
- Peppermint: Stimulating, mind-clearing, invites concentration
- Rosemary: Reviving, mentally clearing, supports memory
Create an inviting, calming space with these beautiful scents. You can customize the scent to meet your needs and do it all without filling your home with chemicals.